About Laser Cataract Surgery
Living with cataracts greatly detracts from a patient's quality of life, and unfortunately affects millions of men and women all over the world. Laser cataract surgery offers a safe, fast, and very effective method for the removal and replacement of a cloudy lens. Sacramento and Roseville, CA ophthalmologist Dr. Stephen Wilmarth is pleased to offer this advanced approach to cataract removal and will happily discuss every patient's candidacy for this treatment during their initial consultation at Wilmarth Eye and Laser Center. Using the LenSx® laser, he can precisely remove the blockage and restore patient's vision through the implantation of intraocular lenses. He invites everyone suffering from cataracts to call and schedule a consultation today.
Benefits of Laser Removal
Dr. Wilmarth uses the LenSx laser manufactured by industry leader Alcon to perform cataract surgery, giving him ultimate control over every aspect of the procedure. The integrated optical coherence tomography utilized by the femtosecond laser captures detailed images of the eyes, and provides Dr. Wilmarth with precise measurements that allow for individual variances and absolute customization of every patient's procedure. Such details and precision are simply not possible through traditional surgical methods, but these factors have increased significantly with laser cataract surgery and procedures performed with the LenSx laser.
Benefits offered by laser cataract surgery include:
- Complete customization of the procedure
- Enhanced precision in the removal of the cloudy lens
- Greater accuracy in the performance of the capsulotomy
- Better centering of the intraocular lens
- Reduced risk of incision inflammation and corneal swelling
"The staff was extremely professional and exceeded every expectation I had. I’ve worn glasses for ten years and now have 20/10 vision. I would highly recommend them to anyone who has ever thought about getting the procedure done."- T.B. / Facebook / Mar 12, 2018
"I just recently had the ICL lens inserted into both of my eyes. I couldn't be happier. I have been in glasses/contacts since 6th grade (now in my 40's) and my vision was -10 and -11. Dr. Wilmarth was so knowledgable, professional and kind. He talked to me through the whole procedure and let me know what he was doing which calmed my nerves. His staff was incredible and Colleen was so quick to return my calls and answer my questions. I highly recommend Dr. Wilmarth and this is one of the best decisions I have made."- J.H. / Yelp / Sep 13, 2018
"The BEST money I have ever spent. Doctor Wilmarth and all of his staff are excellent at answering any and all questions and sorting out any confusions you may have. Before my surgery my vision was 20/70 in one eye and 20/60 in the other. Now I'm seeing 20/15, which means I see as clearly at 20 feet as someone with "normal" vision sees at 15 feet. I highly recommend a visit to Doctor Wilmarth if you are tired of glasses and/or contacts."- G.W. / Google / Jun 15, 2018
"For anyone considering custom wavefront lasik, I highly recommend Dr. Wilmarth. Highly skilled and professional. From the first visit to post surgery, the process has been amazing.Went from terrible eyesight (legally blind) to 20/15 vision."- D.A. / Google / Jun 05, 2018
"I am so happy about my Lasik experience with Dr. Wilmarth and his staff! Everything went smoothly from the initial consultation to post op visits! I would recommend Dr. Wilmarth and staff to everyone!"- S.H. / Google / May 19, 2018
What to Expect
Cataract surgery removes the cloudy lens in the patient's eye and replaces it with an artificial lens called an IOL or intraocular lens. The procedure is performed in an ambulatory surgery center. Dr. Wilmarth will administer a local anesthetic to reduce any discomfort. He will make a small incision and gently break up the cataract with the LenSx laser. An IOL is then gently injected into the eye and positioned in the same capsule as the old lens. There are a few different lens options that Dr. Wilmarth offers:
- Laser cataract removal with implantation of intraocular lens: This procedure will involve placing an intraocular lens such as a monofocal lens after the removal of the cataract. Patients who undergo this option will most likely require glasses after their procedure to see at certain distances.
- Laser cataract removal with implantation of toric intraocular lens to correct astigmatism: This is a great procedure for patients who desire the best possible distance vision after cataract surgery and have moderate to high astigmatism (blurred vision). With this procedure option, a patient can expect minimal to no need for distance glasses; however, the patient will need glasses for intermediate and near activities.
- Laser cataract removal with implantation of premium intraocular lens: This option is great for patients who want the visual freedom to see near and far without having to rely on glasses or contacts. It uses the custom LenSX femtosecond laser to make the most precise prescription measurement. This particular type of lens gives our cataract patients a new lease on life. Dr. Wilmarth generally uses the Crystalens when performing this option.
Cataract surgery is virtually painless with very few risks associated with the procedure. Our surgeon would be happy to discuss all of these options with his patients in greater detail during their treatment consultation.
Generally, there is a very short recovery period with minimal downtime; the majority of patients are back to normal activities the next day. Most patients' vision becomes much clearer in just a few days after surgery, with some patients reporting restored vision in just one day after surgery. After the procedure, Dr. Wilmarth will give the patient detailed instructions regarding their cataract surgery recovery. It is important to follow these instructions carefully to ensure proper healing and optimal results. Patients should make arrangements for someone to give them a ride home after the procedure.
Plan Your Procedure
A Trusted Method
Dr. Wilmarth is one of the most experienced cataract surgeons in the Sacramento area. He has performed the procedure for decades and always maintains the highest level of care. If you're ready to have your blurry vision become a thing of the past, then please schedule a consultation with us today. We can discuss if you're a good candidate for laser cataract surgery.