About Cataract Surgery
As patients age, they may develop cataracts, which is a clouding of the lenses in the eyes. Cataracts cause a gradual deterioration in the vision, and if left untreated, may even lead to blindness. The condition cannot be corrected with glasses, contact lenses, or refractive surgery procedures such as LASIK. But a cataract does not damage the eye — it only blocks the vision similar to a dirty window.
If the eye is otherwise healthy, cataract surgery will restore sharp vision. Fortunately, treatment for cataracts is very safe and effective. Sacramento ophthalmologist Stephen Wilmarth, M.D. has performed thousands of cataract surgeries over the past 30 years with an extremely low complication rate. To learn more about this procedure, please call Wilmarth Eye and Laser Center in Roseville, CA.
Benefits of Cataract Surgery
The benefits of modern cataract surgery include:
- A brief stay in an ambulatory surgery center, typically three hours
- Topical anesthesia with minimal conscious sedation
- Two small incisions that do not require stitches
- Short recovery period with minimal downtime — the majority of patients are back to normal activities the next day
- Premium and standard intraocular lenses that deliver clear vision and may reduce the need for glasses following surgery
- Very low rate of complication with minimal risk of infection — Dr. Wilmarth has had no post-operative infections in 30 years of surgery
"The staff was extremely professional and exceeded every expectation I had. I’ve worn glasses for ten years and now have 20/10 vision. I would highly recommend them to anyone who has ever thought about getting the procedure done."- T.B. / Facebook / Mar 12, 2018
"I am so happy about my Lasik experience with Dr. Wilmarth and his staff! Everything went smoothly from the initial consultation to post op visits! I would recommend Dr. Wilmarth and staff to everyone!"- S.H. / Google / May 19, 2018
"I felt in very good hands and Doctor Wilmarth made everything easy to understand.I will continue as a very satisfied patient—their eye glass door is great too!"- T.T. / Healthgrades / Apr 22, 2018
"I had a cataract in my left eye, Dr. Wilmarth performed laser surgery to remove it and replaced my lens with. Restora brand multi-focal lens. The results were amazing I had 20/30 vision the day of surgery and better than 20/20 within 1 month. I was so pleased with the results that I choose to have the lens in my right eye replaced with the same Lens! Same results as the left eye 20/20 vision...it's so nice to be DONE with glasses forever!! Dr. Wilmarth and his entire team are very professional, efficient, extremely competent and friendly. I am very confident in their abilities and recommend them for any eye surgery you may need."- L.H. / Yelp / Jan 24, 2018
"An easy and professional Lasik procedure! A great experience for a medical operation and you can't ask for better hands."- D.R. / Facebook / Jan 17, 2018
What to Expect
The first step to cataract surgery is removing the cloudy lens in the patient's eye and replacing it with an artificial lens called an IOL or intraocular lens. The procedure is performed in an ambulatory surgery center. Dr. Wilmarth will administer a local anesthetic to help with the discomfort. He will make two small incisions and use an ultrasound handpiece to remove the cataract from its capsule. An IOL is then placed into the eye and positioned in the same location as the old lens. Dr. Wilmarth offers the following options to his cataract surgery patients:
- Cataract removal with implantation of intraocular lens: This procedure involves the placement of a standard intraocular lens, usually one that is monofocal. This will allow patients' vision to be restored, but they will most likely require glasses to see objects at certain distances. It is still a good option for those who do not mind wearing corrective lenses and it is more cost effective.
- Cataract removal with implantation of toric intraocular lens to correct astigmatism: This option will correct blurry vision caused by astigmatism, though the patient may still require reading glasses or contacts to restore their eyesight from all distances.
- Cataract removal with implantation of premium intraocular lens: Premium lenses such as Crystalens is Dr. Wilmarth's preferred method. These advanced lenses will completely transform a patient's vision and offer restoration without the need for glasses or contact lenses.
Cataract removal surgery is usually performed on an outpatient basis, and patients can return to work in about three days. Some people have noticed significant vision improvement after just one day following surgery, while others may take a couple of days to notice the full effects. Each patient will require their specific set of aftercare instructions, as each surgery and case is different. Dr. Wilmarth will thoroughly go over what activities are allowed and which ones to avoid right after the operation.
Plan Your Procedure
Clear Up Blurry Vision
Blurry vision caused by cataracts doesn't have to dominate your life anymore. Thanks to modern advances in technology and Dr. Wilmarth's skillset, your vision can be cleared up more easily and quickly than you might have thought. Call our Roseville, CA office today to find out more about cataract removal surgery.