About Cataract Surgery
As patients age, they may develop cataracts, which is a clouding of the lenses in the eyes. Cataracts cause a gradual deterioration in the vision, and if left untreated, may even lead to blindness. The condition cannot be corrected with glasses, contact lenses, or refractive surgery procedures such as LASIK. But a cataract does not damage the eye — it only blocks the vision similar to a dirty window.
If the eye is otherwise healthy, cataract surgery will restore sharp vision. Fortunately, treatment for cataracts is very safe and effective. Sacramento ophthalmologist Stephen Wilmarth, M.D. has performed thousands of cataract surgeries over the past 30 years with an extremely low complication rate. To learn more about this procedure, please call Wilmarth Eye and Laser Center in Roseville, CA.
Benefits of Cataract Surgery
The benefits of modern cataract surgery include:
- A brief stay in an ambulatory surgery center, typically three hours
- Topical anesthesia with minimal conscious sedation
- Two small incisions that do not require stitches
- Short recovery period with minimal downtime — the majority of patients are back to normal activities the next day
- Premium and standard intraocular lenses that deliver clear vision and may reduce the need for glasses following surgery
- Very low rate of complication with minimal risk of infection — Dr. Wilmarth has had no post-operative infections in 30 years of surgery
"I had a cataract in my left eye, Dr. Wilmarth performed laser surgery to remove it and replaced my lens with. Restora brand multi-focal lens. The results were amazing I had 20/30 vision the day of surgery and better than 20/20 within 1 month. I was so pleased with the results that I choose to have the lens in my right eye replaced with the same Lens! Same results as the left eye 20/20 vision...it's so nice to be DONE with glasses forever!! Dr. Wilmarth and his entire team are very professional, efficient, extremely competent and friendly. I am very confident in their abilities and recommend them for any eye surgery you may need."- L.H. / Yelp / Jan 24, 2018
"An easy and professional Lasik procedure! A great experience for a medical operation and you can't ask for better hands."- D.R. / Facebook / Jan 17, 2018
"Proud to say I can now see 20/15 [that's better than 20/20]! I must be dreaming; I have worn glasses since I was 5 years old and I feel like a brand new me. I came from a negative 6! Thank you Dr Wilmarth!"- J.R. / Facebook / Oct 20, 2017
"Fantastic experience throughout the pre-op, the procedure itself, and the couple of post-op appointments I've had so far. I went in for moderate to severe hyperopia (far-sightedness), so I would get heavy eye fatigue and lose focus when reading text or small print for any longer than a few minutes. After the Lasik, I now have 20/15 visual acuity and can read for hours without eye fatigue. While it is a significant financial outlay, I was not looking for the discount-chain "99 cent store" type of place to operate on my eyes; I was looking for the best of the best, and I can confidently say that is what you get if you go to Wilmarth Eye and Laser. Thank you again doc!Nick"- N.R. / Yelp / Oct 19, 2017
"I have known Dr. Wilmarth for years through our children's school. I had great vision my entire life but then it all changed when I reached my late 40s. Ultimately, I couldn't read up close or even drive very well without glasses. I didn't last long with the inconvenience of glasses. And, I had a terrible time trying to work with contact lenses. Since Dr. Wilmarth has such an excellent reputation in the area, I decided to schedule a consult.Dr. Wilmarth's staff is very experienced and they seem to really enjoy what they do. They were very kind to me and treated me as though I was important. I didn't research any other doctors for this procedure since my very best friend, who is extremely well-researched, told me she would never go to anyone other than Dr. Wilmarth. I had both eyes fixed for distance. My distance vision now is very sharp. I haven't reached for my glasses since the surgery three weeks ago. I have also found that if I back up my reading materials an extra 6 inches or so, I'm able to read magazines, newspapers, etc. much better even though I had my eyes fixed only for improving distance. I have only reached for my "cheater" reading glasses a few times since the surgery for very small print.I know a lot of people spend years considering this procedure. I'm super grateful for Dr. Wilmarth and I'm very happy to have my life back! Thank you!"- T.C. / Yelp / Jul 21, 2017
What to Expect
The first step to cataract surgery is removing the cloudy lens in the patient's eye and replacing it with an artificial lens called an IOL or intraocular lens. The procedure is performed in an ambulatory surgery center. Dr. Wilmarth will administer a local anesthetic to help with the discomfort. He will make two small incisions and use an ultrasound handpiece to remove the cataract from its capsule. An IOL is then placed into the eye and positioned in the same location as the old lens. Dr. Wilmarth offers the following options to his cataract surgery patients:
- Cataract removal with implantation of intraocular lens: This procedure involves the placement of a standard intraocular lens, usually one that is monofocal. This will allow patients' vision to be restored, but they will most likely require glasses to see objects at certain distances. It is still a good option for those who do not mind wearing corrective lenses and it is more cost effective.
- Cataract removal with implantation of toric intraocular lens to correct astigmatism: This option will correct blurry vision caused by astigmatism, though the patient may still require reading glasses or contacts to restore their eyesight from all distances.
- Cataract removal with implantation of premium intraocular lens: Premium lenses such as Crystalens is Dr. Wilmarth's preferred method. These advanced lenses will completely transform a patient's vision and offer restoration without the need for glasses or contact lenses.
Cataract removal surgery is usually performed on an outpatient basis, and patients can return to work in about three days. Some people have noticed significant vision improvement after just one day following surgery, while others may take a couple of days to notice the full effects. Each patient will require their specific set of aftercare instructions, as each surgery and case is different. Dr. Wilmarth will thoroughly go over what activities are allowed and which ones to avoid right after the operation.
Plan Your Procedure
Clear Up Blurry Vision
Blurry vision caused by cataracts doesn't have to dominate your life anymore. Thanks to modern advances in technology and Dr. Wilmarth's skillset, your vision can be cleared up more easily and quickly than you might have thought. Call our Roseville, CA office today to find out more about cataract removal surgery.