Visian Implantable Collamer Lens (ICL) is a method of correcting refractive error. The procedure involves implanting a soft, thins lens similar to a contact lens behind the iris.
Though LASIK still remains the most common procedure for patients looking to eliminate the need for eyeglasses and contact lenses, it's not always possible because they may have a condition which predisposes them to complications. Visian ICL is an exciting, state-of-the-art technological option for those unable to receive LASIK.
During your initial appointment, Dr. Wilmarth will go over all requirements with you in a comprehensive manner to assure you are a good candidate.
The following are criteria of patients who would be a good candidate for Visian ICL:
- Between the ages of 21 and 65
- Are not currently pregnant
- Have no known allergies to any medications that are used during refractive surgery
- Sufficient anterior chamber depth
- Adequate endothelial cell density
- Are nearsighted
- No occurrence to minor occurrence of astigmatism
- Haven't had a change greater than 0.5D in your eyeglass prescription in a year
- Suffer from dry eyes, severe myopia, or a thin cornea
- No previous ophthalmic surgeries
- No history of eye disease such as glaucoma, diabetic retinopathy, or iritis
In addition to going over candidacy, our experienced Sacramento eye doctor will go over any questions or concerns you may have in regards to the procedure and how it works. Visian ICL is placed with the intention of it being permanent. If your vision dramatically changes after implantation, removal of the implant is possible as the procedure is reversible.
If you are interested in vision correction and would like to learn more about Visian ICL, contact Wilmarth Eye and Laser Center today by calling (916) 782-2111 to schedule your consultation.